- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 package (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding & pie filling mix
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 2 packages (3 oz. each) ladyfingers
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh strawberries or additional banana slices
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted*
Drain strawberries, reserving syrup. Combine syrup and enough water to make 2/3 cup. Place in small saucepan with preserves and cornstarch. Stir briskly with wire whisk or fork until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat and stir in drained strawberries. Cool to room temperature. In large mixing bowl combine condensed milk and water. Add pudding mix. Beat well. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes. In small mixing bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chilled pudding mixture. Line bottom and side of 2-1/2 to 3 quart bowl with ladyfinger halves, split sides up. Spoon half of pudding mixture over ladyfingers in bowl. Top with additional ladyfingers. Dip banana slices in lemon juice. Arrange over ladyfingers in bowl. Top with cooled strawberry mixture and remaining pudding mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh strawberries or additional banana slices and toasted almonds just before serving.
10 to 12 servings.
* To toast almonds: Place in single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool completely.