Ingredients and Baking Instructions
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon or orange rind
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers
- mint sprigs for garnish, optional
- Line a 9” x 5” loaf pan with plastic wrap. Spread ice cream in an even layer over the bottom of pan. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- To make sauce, stir sugar and cornstarch together in saucepan, then stir in lemon juice, grated rind and ¾ cup water. Cook and stir until boiling and slightly thickened.
- Cool 15 minutes, then stir in the berries; cool to room temperature. Recipe makes 2 cups of sauce.
- Just prior to serving, set pan of ice cream in warm water for 1 second, then quickly lift plastic and ice cream onto cutting board. Cut ice cream in half lengthwise and in thirds crosswise, to make 6 rectangles.
- To assemble sandwiches, leave ladyfinger halves joined in 12 groups of 3 each. Remaining ladyfingers can be wrapped and frozen for another use. Arrange half the groups, cut sides up, on serving plates. Place ice cream rectangles on top of each and cover with a section of the ladyfingers. Spoon 1/3 cup sauce over top each serving and garnish with a mint sprig.
- Note: Mint or chocolate chip mint ice cream is a refreshing and unique substitute for the vanilla ice cream.
Makes 6 servings