- 1 package (3 ounces) ladyfingers
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- Sweetened Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Additional maraschino cherries for garnish
Line bottom and sides of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with wax paper. Line bottom and sides with ladyfinger halves, split sides up; set aside. In small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over cold milk. Let stand 2 minutes to soften. Stir constantly over low heat until gelatin is dissolved; remove from heat. In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla, beating well. Blend in gelatin mixture. Transfer 1/3 cup of the mixture to small bowl, stirring in cherries and almond extract. To mixture in large bowl add cocoa, blending well. In small mixing bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/2 cup into cherry mixture. Fold remaining into cocoa mixture. Spoon half of cocoa mixture into ladyfinger-lined pan. Using back of large spoon make depression in mixture the length of pan. Spoon cherry mixture into depression, mounding slightly. Spoon remaining chocolate mixture evenly on top. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Unmold and invert onto serving plate. Remove wax paper. Garnish with Sweetened Whipped Cream and additional maraschino cherries just before serving.
6 to 8 servings
Sweetened Whipped Cream: In small mixing bowl whip 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream, 1 tablespoon unsifted confectioners’ sugar and
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.